Certified LeSS Practitioner: Principles to Practices - July 24th to 26th | Chicago, IL
Certified LeSS Practitioner: Principles to Practices with Craig Larman
Enter code "EB" at checkout for early bird registration price.
Date And Time
Monday, July 24, 2023, 8:30am CDT - 5:30pm CDT
Tuesday, July 25, 2023, 8:30am CDT - 5:30pm CDT
Wednesday, July 26, 2023, 8:30am CDT - 5:30pm CDT
Summit Executive Centre
205 N Michigan Ave
Chicago, IL 60601
Learn with Craig Larman—the co-creator of LeSS—in this 3-day highly-participative course. Participants (senior managers, product developers, ...) explore a deep understanding of how to design a simple and adaptive organization for large-scale product development. We explore adoption, new organizational design, systems thinking, the role of management, and concretely how to work together in a Sprint at scale in terms of coordination, architecture, planning, and more.
(Course runs until 17:30 on all 3 days, including day 3; for certification, full attendance required)
Critically, we explore the Big Idea of more with LeSS: simplifying & descaling over "scaling", or... scaling product development by descaling the organization.
Perhaps most importantly and interestingly, this course runs mostly as a series of "at giant whiteboards" deep-thinking exercises involving systems modeling in small teams to explore why, so that people can own the ideas by discovering them for themselves, rather than "renting" the ideas. A focus on why and owning not renting are important elements of LeSS and how it's learned, and Craig emphasizes this in the course learning experience.
Join Larman for a deep dive into more with LeSS, based on his long experience with LeSS adoptions.
Feedback from previous courses
“It was inspiring to discuss Large-Scale Scrum with Craig Larman. The content of the course was top-notch.” – Steve Alexander
“The delivery was outstanding and the supporting material vast and detailed.” – Simone Zecchi
“The best course I have ever been on. Totally blown away.” – Simon Powers
In addition to course material, each participant will also receive 3 books on LeSS:
- Large-Scale Scrum: More with LeSS
- Practices for Scaling Lean & Agile Development: Large, Multisite & Offshore Development with LeSS
- Scaling Lean & Agile Development: Thinking and Organizational Tools for LeSS
- descaling and simplifying over scaling: more with LeSS
- LeSS principles, frameworks, guides, experiments
- two LeSS frameworks: basic & LeSS Huge
Systems Thinking & Organizational Design
- local versus global systems optimization
- local optimization in backlogs
- local optimization in product definition
- local optimization in planning
- local optimization in in analysis & design
- local optimization in programming
- redefining the scope of product, and the impact on global optimization
- portfolio management
LeSS Huge Framework
- Requirement Areas
- Area Product Owners
- role of Product Owner
- Area Backlogs
- preparation before first Sprint
- scaling Sprint Planning to PBR to Retrospectives with many teams
- coordination & integration: from communities to architecture
- multi-site development
- pre-adoption: building interest
- owning vs renting change ideas
- the adoption guides
- 3 principles
- getting started
- Parallel Organization
More on LeSS Roles
- Scrum Masters
- Product Owner
- systems optimization
- adapting to learn
After successful course completion (attending full-time, etc)...
All participants will be a Certified LeSS Practitioner and will get an account on less.works. Here you can find:
- (free) digital versions of the first and third LeSS books
- more LeSS learning (videos, etc)
- the course handout PDF and photos of everything created within the course that was on the walls
- contacts of all course participants
- a course certificate
Craig Larman is the co-creator (with Bas Vodde) of LeSS (Large-Scale Scrum), and since 2005 has worked with clients to apply the LeSS framework for scaling Scrum, lean thinking, and agile development to big product groups. Much of his work is organizational-design consulting with senior-management teams of product groups adopting LeSS.
Craig has served as the lead coach of large-scale lean software development adoption at Xerox, and serves or has served as a consultant for LeSS at Ericsson, UBS, bwin.party, Nokia Networks and Siemens Networks, Nordea, Cisco-Tandberg, Bank of America Merrill Lynch, JP Morgan, Alcatel-Lucent, and Ion Trading, among many other clients. Craig has also served as chief scientist at Valtech and while living in Bengaluru India, at Valtech’s development centre helped to create agile offshore development with LeSS.
In addition to his focus on hands-on LeSS consulting and product work, he occasionally speaks in public, such as keynoting on LeSS at the 2016 Global Scrum Gathering, the 2015 Manage Agile conference, the 2014 Software Executive Summit, the 2013 Agile India conference, and the 2011 QCon conference.
Craig has been named one of the top 20 Agile influencers of all time and is the author of several books on scaling lean & agile development with LeSS, including:
Scaling Lean & Agile Development: Thinking & Organizational Tools for Large-Scale Scrum
Practices for Scaling Lean & Agile Development: Successful Large, Multisite & Offshore Product Development with Large-Scale Scrum
Craig was one of the first Certified Scrum Trainers, and helped kick off the Agile movement, especially with his 2002 book “Agile & Iterative Development: A Manager's Guide”.